Helped a customer upgrade from 11.0 to CSR 11.5, CUCM 11.5(1)SU1; IM&P 11.5(1)SU1; CUC 11.5(1)SU1.
Unity Connection 11.5
You must apply ciscocm.cuc_11.5SU1_pre_upgrade.cop.sgn before you upgrade to 11.5 because of bugid CSCvb02774. The install of the patch is straightfoward and does not require a reboot. I also ran a utils iothrottle disable to make the upgrade run faster (since it was being done after hours.)
If you’re upgrading from 10.x or earlier it is CRITICAL to increase your VM RAM to 6GB. (This was something I ran into when going to 11.0. If you leave it at 4GB it will not function properly at all.)
The upgrade ran normally and took a quite a while for the switch-version to complete.
On a site note, I noticed that the new Unity Connection (CUC) 11.5 .ova files define a 200GB HDD for the bigger VM. I investigated increasing my HDD from 160 to 200GB, but found out that CUC does NOT support dynamic resize of the HDD. This will cause the partition to be unaligned and you’ll get to rebuild CUC from scratch. So leave it at it’s current size.
To save time during the upgrade window, the day before I preloaded the 11.5 ISO on my remote ESXi datastores so that it wouldn’t take forever for the ISO to SFTP over to the remote offices (they have limited bandwidth) , then I attached those ISOs as virtual DVDs to the CUCM servers via vShpere and then launched those upgrades as though they were coming from DVD instead of a remote file server.
The first attempt to launch the upgrade on the Pub failed with the old “common parition doesn’t have enough space” business. I used RTMT to decrease the Low and High logging watermark to 45 and 40 respectively (and restarted the log partition monitoring service) to create room.
Purge Log Files by Changing the Log Partition Watermarks
- Another way to create additional disk space is by changing the high and low watermarks on the system. This informs Unified CM of the numbers of log files to purge once the watermark is reached. Use RTMT as follows:
- Launch RTMT and log in to the desired cluster.
- From the left pane, select Alert Central.
- On the right pane, double-click LogPartitionHighWaterMarkExceeded. Change the threshold value to 40.
- On the right pane, double-click LogPartitionLowWaterMarkExceeded. Change the threshold value to 45.
- This data is polled every five minutes. Allow five to 10 minutes and then check the drive partitions for additional disk space by using one of the methods described above.
As usual, I ran the Pub first (without switching version), when it completed, I ran the Subs (also without switching versions).
If you’re coming from 11.0, the utils iothrottle disable command is not necessary. (You can try to run it but CUCM 11.0 tells you it is unneeded.)
I rebooted the Pub and then Subs as normal.
This was also a typical upgrade. The switch-version took a LONG time for services to come up on the reboot.